Once your SNMP Device Agent is created, select it from the tree to start the configuration.
Device configuration can be accessed via the "Configure" button in the centre of the screen (when the device is not configured), or via the configuration icon at the top right of the page.
The configuration will proceed through the following steps:
- The choice of the SNMP version, according to your Device. This will be "v2c" in most cases.
- The IP address of the equipment to be monitored.
- The port, to be modified only if you have changed the SNMP listening port on your device.
- The community, which will allow you to authenticate on the equipment, it must be identical to the one of the equipment to monitor.
- The choice of the polling agent, which is a server agent in your tree structure that must be on the same LAN as the equipment to be monitored. It is this agent that will act as a relay between the RG servers and your equipment. Make sure that this server agent is always online.
- Importing widgets, to save you time, it is also possible to import widgets from an existing SNMP device, if it is similar to the one you are configuring.
- OID scan, you can choose to run the scan which will inventory the OIDs of the device automatically after its creation.
Tip: In case you are importing widgets from another device, you can uncheck the OID scan box, as the OIDs to be monitored will already be known.
Once you have clicked on "Save", the OID scan will start (if you have left the box checked), it usually lasts a few minutes, the time it takes to make an inventory of all available OIDs.
If you have imported widgets without running a scan, your widgets will start displaying values after 5 minutes maximum.
During the scan, the following status will be visible in the top box of the page:
|At the end of the scan, you should find the status that indicates that the scan is complete, specifying the number of OIDs found:|
The Device is now ready for widget creation.