The backup module integrate Dell EMC Avamar’s technology. Avamar has been supported since Windows Server 2008/Vista and Linux (distributions based on RPM or DPKG).
Before you can begin backing up your files with Backup you first need to activate your 30-day free trial.
To access this Manage menu you must first go to the main node of your tree:
- Once logged in to https://dashboard.rg-supervision.com, open the RG Backup menu and click Manage :
- Click the Free trial button
Your backup account activation may take a few minutes.
- This screen appears, indicating that backup activation for a Cloud Environment is in progress:
- This screen appears, indicating that your backup environment is set-up and ready to use:
- Backup activation for an Avamar Virtual Environment (AVE):
- This screen appears, indicating that your backup environment configuration is complete and ready to use:
You can deploy a backup policy in two ways:
- From a node: This will apply the policy on all of the agents located in this node and subnodes.
- From an agent: Only the agent selected will have the policy
- Open the RG Backup menu and choose Manage
- To change the agent settings, turn Inheritance to Off, and then turn RG Backup to On
Setting a backup policy
Follow these steps to set up a backup policy :
- Choose a plugin to add a policy:
File backup allows you to backup files and folders with the ability to exclude files, folders, and file types (for example: *.rar). It is not available for vCenter agents.
You can restore on any machine with RG Backup installed on the same environment.
- Microsoft SQL
The Microsoft SQL Server database backup is automatically available whenever an instance is detected on the machine. A refresh is done every 5 minutes.
You can then either restore instances and/or databases, directly by overwriting their current version on the same machine, or make a file type restore (.stream0 file) on the same machine or on another with RG Backup installed on the same environment.
The plugin is available only for Windows agents and for DELL EMC Avamar backup environment version 7.4 and later.
Thanks to the backup policy templates, you can reuse already saved policies templates. To create a template, once all the policies are defined on an agent / node, just click on "Create template". You will then need to give the template a name and attach this template to a node to make it available at the hierarchical level you want. Once applied, the template will create the backup policies. Then you will need to deploy them one by one. It is possible to apply several templates one after the other.
- The fields are defined as follows:
- Backup environments available : Select a backup environment from the list of available environments
- Targets : Target path that you want to backup. You can add multiple targets.
- Exclusions : Targets path that you want to exclude from the data targets.
- The following screen appears, which allows you to configure the backup set schedule:
- Frequency: Select a backup frequency: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, On Demand.
- Schedule daily time : Select the time of day for the daily backup to occur.
- Timezone: Chose the time zone that corresponds to the targeted computer.
- Limit each run to hours: Enter a maximum number of hours that the backup can .
Click Next to continue.
- The Retention screen appears. Choose retention parameters as follows:
- Retention period: Select, from the dropdown menus, the number of days, weeks, months, or years for which to store the backup data.
- Keep at least N backups: Turn this On to keep a specific number of backups even after the chosen retention period has ended. Then select a number of backups to retain in the Minimum backup count field.
- Advanced retention : Turn Advanced retention On or Off. If On, select retention periods for the specified backups for the amount of time specified from the dropdown menus.
Note: when you turn the advanced retention option On, the standard Retention Period menu is grayed out but is still valid.
Click Next to continue.
- The More options screen is displayed:
- Pre-script name: Type the name of a script to be executed before the backup (script.bat for example). You will have to place this script locally on the targeted computer as follows:
- Windows : in C:\Program Files\avs\etc\scripts
- Linux : in /usr/local/avamar/etc/scripts
All file formats that are natively supported by the system are acceptable :
- Windows : .exe, .bat, .vbs, .js and all other formats known by Windows
- Linux : All executables (binary or script containing a shebang type header)
- Post-script name: As above, but this script will be executed after the backup.
- Network throttle usage (in Mbps): Enter a value to apply a limit on the backup bandwidth consumption during the backup
Click Next to continue
- The Deployment screen appears, displaying a summary of the configuration details you have selected for the backup set. Click Deploy to send the backup configuration to the agent.
When you deploy, the supervision agent will download and install the backup agent.
- To manually start a backup, go to the agent and click RG Backup and then click Manage.
- On the line of the policy in place on the post you can see a green “play” icon.
Click it to launch an immediate backup.
- A new window appears, in which you confirm the backup start request by clicking Yes.
- The overview screen is displayed. A backup icon will appear on the overview screen if the backup is installed.